The current bike being developed is from a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure S.
Why the 990? Well…. having started off my biking life on an adventure bike (like most it never left the asphalt) then spending a few years riding a sports tourer while beginning to play on my enduro bikes, the draw to move back to a big adventure bike was irresistible. The hunt began and after having test ridden a KTM 1090 Adventure R I wanted a KTM! I originally thought about using a 1090 however having done further research and talking to those already doing what I wanted to do (race a big twin adventure bike in navigational rally races aiming to ultimately compete in the Africa Eco Race or Dakar) the KTM 990 Adventure was the bike to look for. Specifically an early model 990 without the likes of ABS was the one to get. As chance would have it the possible ‘perfect’ bike turned up almost instantly and came with a load of spares and upgrades. We snapped it up and the playing began!
Currently the bike is undergoing its first incarnation of development and is being prepared for its first navigational rally. To help get the build underway I have sought advice from others racing this type of bike, in particular Chris Cork – Thank you Chris, and Olli Bassi – Thank you Olly. Photos of the KTM 990 Adventure Rally 1.0 coming soon!
- Exhaust – GPR 2 into 1 Exhaust
- Wheels – Hubs relaced with Excel Takasago Rims
- Navigation Tower – Twalcom nav tower, roadbook mount plate and 950 instrument mount plate
- Navigation Equipment – ICO Max G, Migtech Road Book, Lyndon Poskitt Racing Adventure Switch
- Lights – Touratec front screen, Hella Projector Head Light, Baja Designs Squadron Pro spot light, Rear high mount tail light
- Handguards – Cycra Pro Bend
- Tyres – General Use – Mitas E09 Dakar Front and Rear. Race – Michelin Desert Race Front, Pirelli Scorpion XC Mid Hard Rear
- Electrical – Battery relocated to under seat, Custom light switch and nav controls based off LPR Adventure Switch and standard (2014) enduro light/horn and indicator switches
- Engine – Rottweiler Performance SAS removal kit, AS3 silicon coolant hose kit, K&N air filter, Snorkel swapped for prefilter, Throttle bodies balanced and engine map upgrade